As you probably know, Simplivity Omnicubes are optimized to handle 8192 bytes cluster size. But, when you install any Windows system, the default size is 4096 bytes, and it cannot be changed once installed. So how can you do the install Windows on a 8192 bytes formatted disk drive ?
Well, this sounds easy but it’s not straight forward as it appears. To answer this question, I have created a complete guide on how to setup a Windows virtual machine optimized for Simplivity systems for VMware vsphere.
First, create the virtual machine
- Select VMware Paravirtual hardware for the ISCSI controller
- Select VMxnet3 hardware for network card
- Select an ISO to be mounted (windows setup image), thick “connect at power on”
- Select floppy drive and mount the pvscsi-windows2008.flp image, thick “connect at power on”
- Start the VM
- Go thought the setup until you reach the “Where do you want to install Windows” window
- Click “Load Driver” and then OK. Click next once the driver has been found
- Now use “shift+F10” combination to get a command prompt
- Type “diskpart” and enter
- List disk
- Select disk 0
- create partition primary size=500
- format quick
- create partition primary
- format quick unit=8192
- Now select the partition where to install windows as usual.
- Install the VMtools, reboot and you get a fully Windows machine optimized for SImplivity systems.